Monday 11 January 2010

A SUPRISE VISITOR

Had quite a suprise this afternoon I looked out into the front garden, and saw two Pied Wagtails, a second glance revealed that one of them was a Grey Wagtail and this was totally unexpected. Normally this is a bird of fast flowing rivers and streams, and as the nearest stream is about 1 mile away I can only assume it was foraging for food away from its normal habitat during these hard times. I think this is an elegant bird with lovely sleek clean lines, although at this time of year a bit dowdy out of its breeding plumage. So below are a couple of images of my welcome visitor, I have also included two of the Pied Wagtail and a Song Thrush that was foraging in the borders.




GREY WAGTAIL



GREY WAGTAIL



PIED WAGTAIL



PIED WAGTAIL



SONG THRUSH



SONG THRUSH


8 comments:

  1. I love Wagtails, they are always busy and make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not as familar with Wagtails as I am the Thrush. These are wonderful photos.
    Sunny :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shots Monty,the Grey Wag is my favourite.
    Cya Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice clean shots of the elegant Grey Wag Monty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to get something unexpected isn't it?
    We have Grey wagtails breeding in St Ives believe it or not, at least 2 pairs between the surgery and the Roundhouse pond. We get them feeding around the rooftops in our road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice garden tick & great photos Monty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos Monty and a real thrill to have a Grey Wagtail in the garden, as you say times are very hard for the poor birds at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots Monts of a lovely bird.

    ReplyDelete